The SIAM Book Editorial Board is charged with performing some or all of the following tasks:
- Function as an ad hoc editorial board for books that are not part of any series.
- Evaluate proposals, recommend a course of action, and suggest reviewers for books in this category.
- Propose book topics and authors.
- Act as advisers to the Publisher and acquisitions staff for strategic counsel and advice with regard to the SIAM book program as a whole. This includes topics such as electronic publishing, translations, and pricing.
- Act as advocates for SIAM’s book program.
Members of the Book Committee will be appointed by the President in consultation with the Vice President for Publications. Members will serve three-year terms, renewable once with the approval of the President. The President appoints the committee Chair in consultation with the VP for Publications. Under normal circumstances the committee Chair will serve a three-year term, renewable once with the approval of the President.
The committee reports to the Vice President for Publications. The committee will annually present a report to the VP for Publications. The VP for Publications will serve ex officio on the committee, but will not chair it. Much of the committee's discussion will take place by phone and email, but one face-to-face meeting per year would be beneficial.